The topic of building/scaling data teams has been a constant topic of conversation at lunches and on the forum for quite some time now. A few questions that folks are solving for:
- Should they be central to the org or distributed?
- How do you prioritize projects?
- What skill sets do you look for?
- Should the teams report to the CFO or CTO? How do dotted lines work?
- How do you track/report? What systems & tools are used?
Special thanks to Andy Toung. As an early Gusto employee, Andy walked the group through how they’ve built the data/intelligence/BizOps teams from 20>1000+ at Gusto over these last years.
The first half of the lunch was a round table conversation, then Andy busted out the powerpoint and got to work.
A main point of focus debate is whether to build as a centralized or distributed team, determining who owns the insights and how to integrate data as a cultural aspect of the business.
Thanks again to Andy and as always to everyone else who attended this valuable session.
Have your own Ignite topic you’re interested in presenting? Enter the OG member forum.
Not yet a member? Learn more about the OG community and membership.